Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Gallbladder surgery

In preparation for my surgery, my husband and dad gave me a priesthood blessing. It is such a huge blessing to know that I have so many worthy priesthood holders in my life. To give me blessings whenever I need them.
My surgery was scheduled at 10:45, which meant I was supposed to be there at 9:15. The hospital called me at 8 and asked how soon I could be in. The surgeon was an hour ahead of schedule. So I hurried and woke up and got in the shower real quick. We made it over there, waited for a couple minutes, and then they took me back to get ready for surgery.
 
The lower right hand picture is right after I put on the hospital gown. It was HUGE! But, I still thought it was great. Although, I hadn't been too excited about putting it on, it sure was cozy.
The lower left hand picture is when they were putting my IV in my left hand. They had also just put these incredible leg things on my legs. They were supposed to make it so I didn't get blood clots in my legs during surgery, and they gave me a nice massage the entire time I was there. I asked my mom if we could buy some, and the nurse said I probably wouldn't want to because of the cost. 
My anesthesiologist gave me some kind of medicine to relax, because I was starting to stress out. It made my face itch. But soon after I was totally fine. They then rolled me into the operating room after I said goodbye to my husband and my mom. As soon as I got in the OR, this really nice lady put these toasty blankets all over my legs and body. They were super great. I thanked her, and she said that was her favorite part of her job. And the next thing I knew, the anesthesiologist said something and I was out. I didn't even get to count backwards from ten. 
Before I knew it, I was in recovery. My surgery had only taken about 30-40 minutes, which was less than the expected hour. My throat was killing, because of the breathing tube that they had in. Good thing I didn't have to feel that! ICK! I could hardly talk because of the scratchiness of my throat. I don't really remember recovery either. Just that I ate some jello, crackers, 2 bites of apple sauce, and loads of water. And apparently I slept for a little bit of time.
The upper right hand picture is of me after surgery in recovery. Recovery lasted longer than expected because they gave me an Oxycontin which my body did not like. I was also super shaky from the anesthesia trying to wear off. So I was in recovery for about 2 hours or so, when originally they said it'd be about an hour. 
The upper left hand picture was right before I left the hospital after my surgery, jello in hand and puke bag in my lap (just in case). They rolled me out in a wheelchair, which was pretty great.
All of the staff at the hospital were super nice and accommodating. Even though it was just an out-patient surgery, they treated me very well.
My whole family has been super supportive and have checked up on my several times. My husband is pretty much the greatest thing. He has helped me out so much in the past day. It is just another affirmation that I married the right man. He would do anything for me at the drop of a hat. He is absolutely incredible, and I couldn't possibly be more grateful for him than I am right now. I will always be well taken care of. And a special thanks to our best friend David Titus for bringing me flowers when I was at home!
Recovery is going fairly well. The pain meds have helped a lot. The four incisions hurt quite a bit, but with time they will go away, of course. I'm just taking it easy, and relaxing. Thanks for all of the concern that those close to me have shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment